About Car Tax Disc

There is no need to renew your car tax disc at the post office, you can now submit new applications, renewals and refund requests online in a matter of minutes!

You must tax all of your vehicles in the UK and the tax disc has to be displayed on the front windshield in order to use public roads and motorways. Failure to display a valid UK car tax disc can mean that your vehicle could be confiscated and the owner may be fined a minimum of £1000.

You will often find long queues at either your local post office or DVLA office when the time comes to renew your car tax disc. If you have not brought all of the essential documents or filled out the forms correctly, you will need to start the whole queuing process again, wasting your valuable time. This is not an issue when renewing online as you can apply from the comfort of your own home, while you’re at work or even from your laptop if you are on holiday! Renewals can be started from the fifth day of the month that your disc is due to expire and the last submissions are accepted a day before the expiry.

Using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), you can now renew your tax disc online, however in order to submit an application you must be a registered keeper of the car. The following are essential details that you’ll need to know before getting started:

  • The 16-digit reference number which is found on your renewal reminder
  • Your vehicle’s number plate
  • Your name, address and vehicle details are up to date and correct with the DVLA
  • That you are the registered keeper of the automobile
  • You have valid car insurance
  • You have a credit or debit card (if you use a credit card then a service charge of £2.50 is added however if you are using a debit card there is no extra charge)
  • You have a V5C registration certificate or a V11 reminder letter
  • You must have a valid MOT
  • For passenger service vehicles or goods vehicles, a PSV test should be submitted (if required)
  • For heavy goods vehicles (HGVs), a V85/1 reminder letter should be acquired

Please note that paying for your new tax disc is done either online or by phone.

Claiming for disability benefits:

To claim disability allowance or living allowance, you’ll need to apply for either a Certificate of Entitlement, MHS330, DLA404, WPA0442 or an exemption certificate. You are allowed to receive an exemption certificate or a Certificate of Entitlement if you are currently eligible or receiving one of the following:

  • A war pension mobility supplement
  • The higher disability mobile component for DLA

Credit or debit cards are not required if you fall within the disabled tax class category. To claim a disability exemption you will need to enclose the following details:

  • National insurance number
  • Date of birth
  • Surname

Note: Disabled tax class applicants are not allowed to tax a vehicle online, he/she can only do this at a Post Office.

Duplicate tax disc application details:

To get a duplicate tax disc you’ll need to fill in a V20 application form. This can be done either online or by forwarding the application form to the nearest DVLA office via a postal service.

Who can apply for a duplicate tax disc?

You may apply for a duplicate tax disc if:

  • You want to replace the original tax disc because it’s been destroyed, lost or stolen
  • You are unable to read figures on it because the colour has faded
  • Have lost the valid tax disc of a recently purchased vehicle

How can I apply?

First you will need to fill in the V20 application form. Next, you’ll need to apply in person or send it to the nearest DVLA office along with the fee payable for obtaining a duplicate disc (if needed) and your V5C registration certificate.

  • You do not have to pay for a duplicate tax disc if you have the green coloured new keepers supplement which is called a V5C/2 and have bought the vehicle recently
  • If you do not have the V5C registration certificate, you will need to apply for the V62 (vehicle registration certificate)
  • V62 application can be downloaded online or it can be obtained from any local DVLA office or post office
  • For more information or any assistance you can request our help at XXXXXXX or visit www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

How long will it take to receive a duplicate tax disc?

You will immediately receive the duplicate tax disc as soon as the request is made and all of your details verified. If there are any issues, your application will be put on hold until the DVLA vehicles’ record has been updated, if this happens you may be issued with a temporary tax disc which will be replaced by the DVLA once the records show the correct information.

SORN (Statutory off Road Notification)

All vehicles registered in the UK must be taxed in order to use public roads and motorways. You don’t have to buy a tax disc if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road - e.g. you keep it inside a garage, on your drive or on private land - instead you must make a SORN.

Remember! You can only make a SORN if you are registered as the vehicle’s keeper. You will need the following details in order to make a SORN application:

  • The V5C registration certificate

The reference number found on either the V5C, the V85/1 or the V11

SORN applications can be made online, over the phone or at your local post office, and can also be made while you apply for a vehicle tax refund.

When should I make a SORN?

The following explains when a SORN is needed:

  • If the vehicle is not being used or is being kept off the road due to MOT failure or repair
  • When applying for a refund of vehicle tax
  • When you’re abroad

How to make a SORN

Now you can make a SORN using any of the following three ways:

  • Online
  • Phone
  • Post office

Applying for a SORN is not necessary if:

  • You want to trade the vehicle
  • The vehicle is a write off
  • You fail to keep the vehicle
  • You take the vehicle overseas
  • If the vehicle has been passed to a scrap dealer

How can I apply for a tax disc refund?

To get a refund for your vehicle tax you must fill out the V14 form. The form can be downloaded online; however, it must be completed, signed and after it has been duly filled, please post it to the DVLA.

Before you start your refund application, please make sure you are actually entitled to receive a refund. You can only receive a refund if you satisfy one of the following criteria:

  • If you are the last or current registered keeper
  • If you have exported, sold or transferred your vehicle recently
  • If the vehicle has been scrapped or stolen
  • If you have changed the tax class to nil tax class (e.g., disabled)

A few important things you’ll need to know before you apply for a vehicle refund:

  • The personal details required on the form are to be filled out exactly the same as they are displayed on your V5C certificate
  • If you don’t have a tax disc, you must use the V33 form
  • Refunds are normally received within 6 weeks of the request being made

We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation but act simply as a cost effective call connection service. We can forward your call to the DVLA.