About Vehicle Registration

Vehicle registration is essentially evidence that you have paid taxes and fees for driving a car on public roads legally.

Vehicle registration is mandatory, when:

  1. You’ve purchased a new vehicle
  2. Built, rebuilt or altered a vehicle
  3. You’ve imported a vehicle

Depending on the circumstances stated above, you should complete the relevant application forms and send them to your local DVLA office.

Registration for new vehicles

If your vehicle is brand new, imported, a kit car, vintage, classic, radically altered or rebuilt, it may not be registered with the DVLA. Dealers usually arrange for registration when a brand new car is bought, however for all other cases, you should follow the procedure below.

Apply for registration

To register new vehicles (including recently built kit cars and imported new automobiles), form V55/4 should be completed.

To register used vehicles (also applies for older vehicles without registration at all, used imported cars and rebuilt vehicles), fill in form V55/5.

Please note that application forms can be requested from the DVLA form ordering service.

You need to send identity documents with both forms:

Your photo-card driving licence should be sent preferably, but if you aren’t able to send it, at least one original document from the two lists below should be sent as a replacement:

Confirmation of name (List 1)

  • Recent paper driving licence
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Decree nisi or absolute
  • Marriage certificate

Confirmation of address (List 2)

  • Latest utility bill, for example - electricity, gas, water, telephone
  • Latest building society or bank statement
  • Medical card
  • Current year’s council tax bill

Along with the above credentials, you should also send supportive documents as listed below:

  • Existing British motor insurance certificate
  • Vehicle tax cost
  • Registration fees (if you need to pay)
  • Existing MOT (for vehicles older than 3 years)
  • Confirmation that the vehicle is new (applicable for new imported vehicles also)
  • Other vehicle documents

Additional forms need to be filled for imported, old, renovated, classic, newly built, radically altered or rebuilt vehicles.

Process followed by the DVLA after a submission of application:

Your vehicle may be inspected by the DVLA. If the application is accepted, a V5C or Vehicle Registration Certificate will be sent to you, usually within 6 weeks from receiving the application. It includes the following information:

  • The registration number of the vehicle
  • Name and address of the vehicle owner
  • Other details of the vehicle such as make, VIN, previous owners etc.

Identity documents as well as a vehicle tax disc will also be sent to you.

Please note that a self-addressed, prepaid, special delivery envelope should be provided if submitted originals are to be returned to you by post.

If you have not received a response after 6 weeks, please contact the DVLA.

Fees for New Registrations:

Registering an enlistment of a vehicle for the first time with the DVLA will cost you a fee of £55.

However, there are exemptions for certain vehicles:

  • Initially registered in the disabled exempt taxation category
  • Old vehicles formerly registered with the earlier authorities
  • Northern Ireland registered vehicles
  • Previously registered imported vehicles under the ‘new means of transport scheme’ and ‘personal export scheme’
  • Those belonging to visiting forces
  • Crown exempt vehicles
  • Those recorded in a direct export scheme
  • Off road use registered vehicles

Kit cars and rebuilds

Registration procedure:

All guidelines for new vehicle registration should be followed. Additionally, the application must enclose:

  • V627/1 form
  • Type approval evidence, if essential
  • Registration certificate of the vehicle (for using benefactor’s vehicle)
  • Build citations and plans
  • Authorised receipts

Type Approval

Type approval is required for kit built automobiles. A type approval is required for a rebuilt vehicle if it isn’t eligible to retain the initial registration number.

Radically altered vehicles

Registration process

Follow all directives for new vehicle registration. In addition, the application should contain the following enclosures:

  • V627/1 form
  • Type approval evidence, if necessary
  • Registration certificate (for using donor’s vehicle)
  • Authorised vehicle and parts receipts

The DVLA adopts a point system to select the registration number of these vehicles.

Please note that primary registration number can’t be kept if:

  • Points allocated are less than 8
  • The car, van or motorbike has a monocoque frame or altered chassis
  • Two vehicles are welded into one vehicle

Therefore, you will need a type approval for your vehicle.

Old vehicles

For old vehicles not taxed since 1983 and that are unregistered with the DVLA, the guidelines for registering your vehicle for first time should be followed.

You might be able to retain the original registration number of an old vehicle if:

  • It isn’t registered with the DVLA
  • It has a very old registration number

The application process is as follows:

  • Follow the new registration instructions
  • Form V765 should be completed and validated by an accredited vehicle owners’ club
  • Enclose a recent picture of the vehicle with documented evidence linking it to the primary registration number
  • The appropriate forms and supporting papers should be sent to the DVLA

Reconstructed classic vehicles

Procedure for registration

You are required to follow the new vehicle registration instructions.

You also need to provide the following:

  • Written declaration from an authorised owner’s club
  • V627/1 form (built up vehicle inspection report)
  • Type approval proof
  • Authorised vehicle and parts receipt

Registration for used vehicles

The registration depends on two factors:

  1. If the vehicle already has V5C or registration certificate
  2. If the vehicle has no registration certificate

Vehicles which already have a V5C or registration certificate

The following steps should be followed:

  • Section 6 of the V5C must be completed by the dealer, i.e. new name/new address details
  • The seller and you must sign the section 8 declaration
  • The seller will complete section 10 or V5C/2 and hand it over to you
  • The V5C will be sent to the DVLA

Ideally, the DVLA will send a new V5C in two to three weeks after receiving the old one sent by the dealer. If you do not receive it within four weeks, send a completed V62 form or "Application for registration certificate" with the V5C/2 given by the seller to the DVLA.

There is no registration certificate for the vehicle

Complete the V62 form to register the vehicle in your name. A certain amount needs to be paid as fees. If you get no reply after 6 weeks from sending in the form, you need to contact the DVLA.

Vehicle Identification Number

Vehicles registered in the United Kingdom should possess unique, stamped-in VIN or Vehicle Identification Numbers and a registration number. Generally, the VIN is stamped into the vehicle’s chassis.

It is possible to select your unique VIN provided:

  • The car or motorcycle is kit built
  • The VIN has not already been allocated by the DVLA

Q Registration

Q registration numbers are allocated to vehicles with identity or age doubt.

Name and address change on the V5C Registration Certificate

You can proceed with the following steps:

  • Your new name or current address should be clearly written in your V5C form, Section 6. PO Boxes and joint names will not be accepted.
  • Sign the Section 8 declaration and insert the date
  • Send the completed form to the DVLA

A new V5C is normally sent to you within 4 weeks. If you have not received your certificate within this time frame, it is advisable to allow up to 6 weeks before you get in touch with the DVLA.

How to change vehicle details on a V5C registration certificate

Your V5C needs to be updated if there is any error or you’ve made following alterations to the vehicle:

  • Colour
  • Cylinder capacity
  • Seating capacity
  • Engine
  • Fuel type
  • Modification of chassis
  • Weight of good’s vehicle
  • Changed tax class to disabled

Other changes in wheel plan, VIN, Frame number of motorcycles, body type etc. may require inspection.

The updated certificate should be mailed to the DVLA with supporting evidence.

Informing the DVLA of changes

Changes in vehicle tax, if any, depend on the effect the changes you have made have.

If your changes will affect vehicle tax

  • Changes should be marked in Section 7 of the registration certificate and signed
  • Send the registration certificate with required proof to the DVLA
  • The tax disc must be exchanged

If your changes will not affect vehicle tax

  1. Alterations should be marked in Section 7 and signed
  2. The registration certificate should be sent to the DVLA

For unlisted changes in the Registration Certificate, section 4 should be filled and sent to the DVLA along with an explanation letter.

How to attain a replacement V5C log book or vehicle registration certificate

A replacement V5C certificate can be obtained if the original is lost, damaged or stolen. Applications can be made by phone or by using the V62 form.

About Car Tax Disc

There is no need to renew your car tax disc at the post office, you can now submit new applications, renewals and refund requests online in a matter of minutes!

You must tax all of your vehicles in the UK and the tax disc has to be displayed on the front windshield in order to use public roads and motorways. Failure to display a valid UK car tax disc can mean that your vehicle could be confiscated and the owner may be fined a minimum of £1000.

You will often find long queues at either your local post office or DVLA office when the time comes to renew your car tax disc. If you have not brought all of the essential documents or filled out the forms correctly, you will need to start the whole queuing process again, wasting your valuable time. This is not an issue when renewing online as you can apply from the comfort of your own home, while you’re at work or even from your laptop if you are on holiday! Renewals can be started from the fifth day of the month that your disc is due to expire and the last submissions are accepted a day before the expiry.

Using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), you can now renew your tax disc online, however in order to submit an application you must be a registered keeper of the car. The following are essential details that you’ll need to know before getting started:

  • The 16-digit reference number which is found on your renewal reminder
  • Your vehicle’s number plate
  • Your name, address and vehicle details are up to date and correct with the DVLA
  • That you are the registered keeper of the automobile
  • You have valid car insurance
  • You have a credit or debit card (if you use a credit card then a service charge of £2.50 is added however if you are using a debit card there is no extra charge)
  • You have a V5C registration certificate or a V11 reminder letter
  • You must have a valid MOT
  • For passenger service vehicles or goods vehicles, a PSV test should be submitted (if required)
  • For heavy goods vehicles (HGVs), a V85/1 reminder letter should be acquired

Please note that paying for your new tax disc is done either online or by phone.

Claiming for disability benefits:

To claim disability allowance or living allowance, you’ll need to apply for either a Certificate of Entitlement, MHS330, DLA404, WPA0442 or an exemption certificate. You are allowed to receive an exemption certificate or a Certificate of Entitlement if you are currently eligible or receiving one of the following:

  • A war pension mobility supplement
  • The higher disability mobile component for DLA

Credit or debit cards are not required if you fall within the disabled tax class category. To claim a disability exemption you will need to enclose the following details:

  • National insurance number
  • Date of birth
  • Surname

Note: Disabled tax class applicants are not allowed to tax a vehicle online, he/she can only do this at a Post Office.

Duplicate tax disc application details:

To get a duplicate tax disc you’ll need to fill in a V20 application form. This can be done either online or by forwarding the application form to the nearest DVLA office via a postal service.

Who can apply for a duplicate tax disc?

You may apply for a duplicate tax disc if:

  • You want to replace the original tax disc because it’s been destroyed, lost or stolen
  • You are unable to read figures on it because the colour has faded
  • Have lost the valid tax disc of a recently purchased vehicle

How can I apply?

First you will need to fill in the V20 application form. Next, you’ll need to apply in person or send it to the nearest DVLA office along with the fee payable for obtaining a duplicate disc (if needed) and your V5C registration certificate.

  • You do not have to pay for a duplicate tax disc if you have the green coloured new keepers supplement which is called a V5C/2 and have bought the vehicle recently
  • If you do not have the V5C registration certificate, you will need to apply for the V62 (vehicle registration certificate)
  • V62 application can be downloaded online or it can be obtained from any local DVLA office or post office
  • For more information or any assistance you can request our help at XXXXXXX or visit www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

How long will it take to receive a duplicate tax disc?

You will immediately receive the duplicate tax disc as soon as the request is made and all of your details verified. If there are any issues, your application will be put on hold until the DVLA vehicles’ record has been updated, if this happens you may be issued with a temporary tax disc which will be replaced by the DVLA once the records show the correct information.

SORN (Statutory off Road Notification)

All vehicles registered in the UK must be taxed in order to use public roads and motorways. You don’t have to buy a tax disc if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road - e.g. you keep it inside a garage, on your drive or on private land - instead you must make a SORN.

Remember! You can only make a SORN if you are registered as the vehicle’s keeper. You will need the following details in order to make a SORN application:

  • The V5C registration certificate

The reference number found on either the V5C, the V85/1 or the V11

SORN applications can be made online, over the phone or at your local post office, and can also be made while you apply for a vehicle tax refund.

When should I make a SORN?

The following explains when a SORN is needed:

  • If the vehicle is not being used or is being kept off the road due to MOT failure or repair
  • When applying for a refund of vehicle tax
  • When you’re abroad

How to make a SORN

Now you can make a SORN using any of the following three ways:

  • Online
  • Phone
  • Post office

Applying for a SORN is not necessary if:

  • You want to trade the vehicle
  • The vehicle is a write off
  • You fail to keep the vehicle
  • You take the vehicle overseas
  • If the vehicle has been passed to a scrap dealer

How can I apply for a tax disc refund?

To get a refund for your vehicle tax you must fill out the V14 form. The form can be downloaded online; however, it must be completed, signed and after it has been duly filled, please post it to the DVLA.

Before you start your refund application, please make sure you are actually entitled to receive a refund. You can only receive a refund if you satisfy one of the following criteria:

  • If you are the last or current registered keeper
  • If you have exported, sold or transferred your vehicle recently
  • If the vehicle has been scrapped or stolen
  • If you have changed the tax class to nil tax class (e.g., disabled)

A few important things you’ll need to know before you apply for a vehicle refund:

  • The personal details required on the form are to be filled out exactly the same as they are displayed on your V5C certificate
  • If you don’t have a tax disc, you must use the V33 form
  • Refunds are normally received within 6 weeks of the request being made

About Medical Enquiries

The role of medial standards and guidelines is to encourage road safety measures in public places. In addition, these guidelines promote safe driving by creating reviews for drivers who have existing medical conditions; these reviews show whether they’ll be able to fulfil the medical requirements which are essential for safe driving.

Valuable medial information for drivers


The following are interesting facts about the effect excessive tiredness or sleepiness have on drivers:

Around one-fifth of all road accidents are caused falling asleep at the wheel. Other factors that can cause road accidents are traffic offences, weather conditions, vehicle faults and poor road conditions. However investigations into road accidents have concluded that amongst the various contributing factors for road accidents, tiredness of a driver is the most common cause.

What you need to do if you have a condition causing tiredness

If you have a medical condition which can cause tiredness or sleepiness and you currently hold a driving license, you may need to inform the DVLA about it. To do this, simply forward your medical condition notification to your nearest office. The DVLA will only accept a hard copy of the notification which has you have signed, please note that your full name and address should be included.

Once the notification is received by the DVLA, a questionnaire will be generated which will ask further and more detailed questions about your medical condition. Please note that this questionnaire can be sent directly to your doctor if you have given consent, ensuring the correct medical information is given.

When and how should you report a medical condition or disability to the DVLA?

If you have had or currently suffer from a disability or a medical condition that could affect your driving, you must report it to the DVLA immediately. To do so you’ll need to send details of your medical condition, either if it’s new ora condition that has worsened, as soon as possible. You will be punished and can be fined up to £1000 if you fail to notify the DVLA about your disability or medical condition on time.

What to do if you have a health condition and you are applying for your first driving licence

All driving licence application forms include a series of medical questions, so if you’re applying for your first license, you must mention that you suffer from a disability or "notifiable" medical condition. If required, you can also download and complete the medial questionnaire form and enclose it with your new driving license application.

What to do if you have a medical condition and currently hold a licence

If you suffer from disability or notifiable medical condition and currently hold a driving licence, you must notify the DVLA right away. Do not wait until your driving licence is due for renewal or it is has expired. Download the appropriate medical questionnaire form, fill in the details and forward it to the specific address provided either by post, email, or fax. You can visit the DVLA website to find information about contact address, telephone numbers and what medical conditions or treatments you need to advise the DVLA about.

Surrending your licence

If your medial practitioner has advised you not to drive, in accordance with the medical standards you must surrender your licence to the DVLA. To know more about medical standards and health conditions please visit the official DVLA website.

Note: After surrendering your licence, you can return to driving by reapplying for a driving license restoration at a later date.

There is no legal age which stops you from driving. You can determine if and when to stop depending on both your medical and general health condition.

What happens after notifying the DVLA?

A decision is made within 3 weeks. However, if the DVLA require more information concerning your medical condition, it may extend the decision period by up to 90 business days. The DVLA follow the procedure below to evaluate and make a decision:

  • Contacting your medical consultant or doctor
  • Their own team of experts may examine your case
  • They may require you to take a driving or an eyesight test

What decisions can DVLA make?

After the DVLA has evaluated your disability or medical condition, your options could be one of the following:

  • You may be asked to get yourself a new driving licence or keep the old one
  • You’ll be given with a short duration licence, say for one, two or three years, once this shorter period expires, the DVLA will review your condition
  • You may be asked to adapt your vehicle with special controls
  • Your driving licence may be taken away

Adapting your vehicle

If you have been informed by DVLA to adapt your vehicle, you can complete an independent search using the "Forum of Mobility Centres", this forum helps to allocate a centre and find the relevant contact details. At these centres you can discuss what equipment is required in order to ensure you drive safely.

What happens if your licence is ceased by the DVLA?

Unfortunately, the DVLA must revoke your licence if your health condition is deteriorating, as you would be unsafe on the road.

If your licence is taken away by the DVLA, it is possible to appeal the decision if you feel that their decision was wrong. This does take some time but if you win the case your licence will be fully reinstated.

Remember! You also have the right to appeal to the Magistrates Court regarding the decision to revoke your license made by the DVLA. Please ensure that you notify the DVLA if you decide on this course of action.

How should you re-apply for a driving licence?

If your driving licence has been surrendered for health reasons, reapplying to the DVLA is necessary before you can drive again. Meet with your physician to ensure that you meet the medical requirements, if they confirm that you do, enclose all evidence of your current health status with the reapplication form.

Blue Badge scheme

The Blue Badge is a parking scheme that helps people with severe mobility problems and it allows them to park their vehicles closer to their destination. This scheme is available throughout the U.K.

Information about the scheme

This scheme is applied to on-street parking giving disabled drivers the permission to park in specially located bays at no cost, also standard parking time limits are removed for Blue Badge holders.

How to get a Blue Badge

You can qualify for a Blue Badge if:

  • You receive a higher rate in the mobility component of the DLA (Disability Living Allowance)
  • You’re registered as blind
  • You’re receiving a war pensioner’s mobility supplement
  • You have a permanent and substantial disability

Blue Badge application

You can apply for a Blue Badge online by downloading the application form or by visiting your local DVLA office. Fill in the application form and send it to the specified address by either post, email or fax.

Online process

To check your eligibility you’ll need to answer certain questions concerning your disability. If you think you qualify for a Blue Badge, please fill in an online application form. Once completed, the form will be sent automatically to the DVLA who will make a decision. Please note that a decision is normally issued within 15 business days from the date of receipt.

Note: If someone is convicted of misusing the Blue Badge,a fixed penalty of £1000 is issued, sometimes with the addition of another fine for parking illegally.

Motability scheme

Motability is an independent national charity scheme; it enables disabled people to lease a new scooter, car or a powered wheelchair for an affordable amount. To understand the scheme in detail and to see its guidelines for using a motability vehicle, please contact Motability directly.

Tax disc exemptions

If you are disabled you may eligible for free tax disc.

Applying for a disabled tax disc

If you buy a new car or vehicle, you can apply for a tax disc exemption and insurance certificate/award. The registered keeper can apply for free disabled tax disc, if:

  • They are disabled or has a permanent illness
  • A third person uses the vehicle solely for transporting the disabled

Applying for your free tax disc for the first time

Applying for a free tax disc is not as same as renewing a standard tax disc. If you have purchased a new vehicle, you must forward the vehicle registration certificate, your certificate of entitlement and any other additional documents to the DVLA in order to claim a free disabled tax disc.

If you want to apply and use the free tax disc for a old vehicle, the tax class of the vehicle must be replaced at a local post office. The following documents are required:

  • V5C – a full vehicle registration certificate
  • Original GVT or MOT certificate
  • Insurance and entitlement certificate
  • V5C/2 (for a new keeper supplement)

Renewing the free tax disc

After the tax class of your vehicle is changed and shows as disabled, you can renew your free tax disc in any of the following ways:

  • At a post office branch
  • By telephone
  • Online - to find more about the free tax disc, please visit www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc

The use of a vehicle while it is in the disabled tax class

The vehicle should be used either by a disabled person or someone who helps them in reaching their desired destination.

Remember! If the registered keeper violates the usage of the vehicle by not using it as mentioned above, the registered keeper may be penalised.

Claiming refund on your current tax disc

Please fill in an application form which can be found at your local post office branch or online to claim a refund on your vehicle tax disc. For more information please speak with advisors at selected post office branches or at your local DVLA office.

What must be considered when applying for a tax disc refund:

  • First, check whether you’re entitled to get a tax disc refund, for more details on refund eligibility please download the leaflet and read the information
  • Once you think you qualify for a refund, fill in the form ensuring your details are exactly the same as shown on your V5C registration certificate
  • Form V33 can be used by people who do not have a tax disc, to get a form please contact your local DVLA office
  • After the successful submission of the form, expect to receive a refund within 6 weeks

Toll concessions

Blue Badge holders or disabled people who receive a higher rate of the mobility component of the DLA, and that are also exempt from paying vehicle excise duty may be able to receive toll concessions at tunnels and road bridges. To get concessions you have to apply for them in advance.

Remember! Toll concessions can change any time, so check the current tolls before you travel.

Drooped kerb

A drooped kerb is a lowered section located across a footpath which is made to help the disabled access their property.

Installation of a drooped kerb

To apply for a drooped kerb, you’ll need to send a permission request to your local Roads Service office, as they are responsible for maintaining the footpath. Once your proposal is sent, the respected authority will consider the viability of the proposal. For more details on drooped kerbs please visit the Roads Service office website.

Note: Drooped kerb facility is available in England only.

Renewing your driving licence at the age 70 or above

With online application now available, renewing your driving licence has become much easier. Applications can be made using your Government Gateway ID, however if you don’t have a Gateway ID you’ll need to register for one.

Things you require for renewing your licence when in your 70’s:

  • A valid UK passport
  • Proof of identification

If you are aged 70 or above, you can renew your licence if you meet the following conditions:

  • You’re a resident of Great Britain
  • You have not been banned from driving for any reason
  • Your driving licence will expire within 90 days or has already expired
  • You meet the current eye sight requirements

Valuable information for medical practitioners

Any changes or additions to the existing medical standards need to be known by medical professionals early. The features of the medical standards guide are as follows:

  • A list of all the health conditions that may affect driving are found on the GOV.UK website
  • An "at a glance" guide is available and is designed for medical enquiry searches, it also displays AAG results
  • A simple PDF version of this guide is also available and can be used for future reference

We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation but act simply as a cost effective call connection service. We can forward your call to the DVLA.