1. How can I apply for a driving licence?

The minimum age for applying is usually 17 for cars and 16 for motorcycles. You can apply three months before starting to drive. Applications for provisional licences can be done online however; you should meet the following eligibility conditions:
  • Must be a citizen of the United Kingdom
  • Minimum age and eyesight requirements should be met
  • You must not be barred from driving
  • Must pay £XXX using Visa, Master Card or other Credit or Debit Card
  • Possess a UK passport or other proof of identity
  • Address of residence for the previous three years to be provided
  • Possess a National Insurance Number
Alternatively, complete a D1 application form, enclose original identity documents and a postal order or cheque for £XXX (application fees) and send it to the DVLA.

The DVLA may review your personal info including the National Insurance Number specified. If your identity can’t be verified completely, you’ll be instructed about what should be done after finishing the application.

You will receive the licence in two parts - the photocard including category details of vehicles you can drive and the paper documentation that covers prerogative history and authorisations, disqualification periods and penalty points. You should renew your photocard licence at least once every 10 years.

Paper licences remain valid until damaged or details need changing. These were issued before the introduction of photocard licences.

2. How can I change the address on my licence?

Address changes on your driving licence can be easily made online. Of course, you have to fulfil the following conditions:
  • Possess a valid driving licence (for a photocard licence both sections are needed)
  • Should reside in the UK
  • Address of previous three years residence needed
  • Possess a UK passport or other proof of identity
  • You must not be barred from driving
  • National Insurance number, if required
Another way to apply for an address change on your driving licence is by post. For photocard licences, the changes section on the paper document needs to be filled in, signed and sent to DVLA.

For paper driving licences, completed D1 or D2 application forms, driving licence, original identity certificates and a passport size photo should be sent to DVLA. To change the names shown on your license applications must be made by post.

3. How do I change the name on my driving licence?

Names can be easily changed on driving licence by following the simple procedures listed below.

For Photocard Licence Fill in the correct form (Form D1 for motorbikes or cars and Form D2 for buses or lorries) and send it to the DVLA along with original documents confirming your name, and your photocard driving licence (both parts).

For Paper Licence

Completed D1 or D2 forms (whichever is applicable) along with original identity documents to confirm your name, your driving licence and a passport photograph should be sent to the DVLA. For lost, stolen or destroyed old licences, the declaration ought to be made on the form.

The new licence with the alterations will be sent to you within 3 weeks.

4. How can I renew my driving licence?

Driving licences should be renewed at least once every ten years. You should possess a UK passport which is valid and issued within past 5 years. You also should:
  • Reside in Great Britain
  • Pay £XXX as fees
  • Provide your residential address for the past three years
  • Not be prohibited from driving
  • Provide your National Insurance number
  • You will get your renewed driving licence within two weeks.

5. Is it possible to add higher categories to my licence?

Yes. To begin with, you will need to apply for a ‘provisional entitlement’. After this has been received you can schedule the test required to add higher categories to your driving licence. Passing higher category tests might also entitle you to lower categories automatically.

6. How can I replace a stolen, lost or damaged driving licence?

You can apply online for replacing your lost, stolen or damaged driving licence. Your licence number, identity proof, address details will be required. A fee of £XXX is also payable. If the photograph should be renewed, a valid passport from UK issued in past five years is essential.

7. What should I do to change my photo on the driving licence?

Photos on a ‘Provisional driving licence’ can be altered easily online if you possess a UK passport that was issued to you within the past five years. A new driving licence will be sent to you with the updated photograph. You will need to:
  • Be a UK citizen
  • Pay the required fees
  • Provide your residential address for previous three years
  • Not be forbidden from driving

8. How to exchange a paper licence for a new photocard driving licence?

Paper driving licences can be exchanged for a new photocard licence by applying online. All you need is to:
  • Possess the paper driving licence
  • Possess a UK passport or valid identity proof
  • Reside in Great Britain
  • Meet the stipulated eyesight requirement
  • Not be barred from driving
  • Pay the fees
  • If known, provide your National Insurance number
  • Provide your residential address for previous three years
If you do not have a valid passport, you will have to send your photograph by post to the DVLA. After completing the online application, a form will be sent to you. Fill it in and send it with the photo to the DVLA.

Ideally, the licence will be sent within three weeks to you, but extra time may be taken to check medical or personal details, if required.

9. What are the driving disqualifications?

You may be banned from driving if:
  • You are found guilty of any driving delinquencies
  • You are given 12 or more penalty points within three years
The authorities will dispatch a summon letter to you which will inform you when you need to appear in court.

10. How long can I be disqualified from driving?

The period of a ban for driving offences will be decided by a court, it also depends on the severity of the offence. Bans may be:
  • Six months for twelve or more penalty points within a period of three years
  • If another twelve or more penalty points are given within three years, a second disqualification may last twelve months
  • For a third disqualification the ban may be two years
You’ll have to apply for a new licence if you are disqualified for 56 days or more. You may also need to retake your driving test or complete an extended driving test before a new licence is issued to you.

For disqualifications lower than 56 days, taking driving tests or renewal of your licence isn’t needed. The court will add the decision to the paper document section of your photocard licence (or the paper driving licence), showing the period of ban and return it to you. Once the prohibition is over, you can continue to use it.

11. How to reapply for a driving licence following a disqualification?

The application process depends on the seriousness of your offence, i.e. whether you’re in the category of a high risk offender or not.

Offenders in the non-high risk category

A D27 form will be sent to you by DVLA, 56 days prior to the end of the disqualification period. Complete it and send it to the DVLA along with a passport photograph.

Offenders in the High risk category

The DVLA will send you a D1 or D2 form depending on your vehicle type, 90 days prior to end of the disqualification period. Fill in the form received and send it to the DVLA.

You will have to undergo medical checks with a doctor appointed by the DVLA to prove you are fit to drive.

12. How do I surrender my driving licence?

You may decide to stop driving willingly or due to medical conditions. In either situation, you need to inform the DVLA about it.

Motorcycle or car licences: The voluntary surrender declaration should be downloaded, completed, signed and sent to the DVLA along with the licence.

Lorry and bus licences: The VOC99/CERT should be downloaded, filled, signed and sent to the DVLA along with the licence.

13. How to inform DVLA about bereavements?

To inform the DVLA about the death of a driver, the registration certificate and licence should be sent to the DVLA with a letter explaining:
  • Your relation with the driver
  • The person’s name, birth date and address
  • Date of their death

We are not associated, nor affiliated with any government organisation but act simply as a cost effective call connection service. We can forward your call to the DVLA.